As many of you know, I am a great fan of the TV show The Chew. I Tivo the show and watch it most evenings. Last week Daphne Oz made this casserole shortly before leaving the show to have her first baby. In her honor, I tweaked the basic recipe and present it here for you to try.
2 whole Granny Smith apples, diced with skin on
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 whole lemon, juiced
1 Cup sweet potato puree
2 large eggs
2 Cups coconut milk (or almond milk)
3 Tbsp maple syrup
1 Cup quinoa, uncooked, rinsed
1/2 Cup apricots (or golden raisins)
1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 9" square pan with pan spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine diced apples, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together sweet potato puree, coconut milk, eggs, and maple syrup.
4. Thoroughly rinse quinoa under cold water, drain, and spread in the bottom of the prepared pan. Sprinkle apricots (or golden raisins) on top of the quinoa.
5. Pour the apple and sweet potato mixture on top of quinoa.
Bake 45-50 minutes until the casserole is set. Serve warm.
This casserole is great as a meatless main dish with a salad, as a quick breakfast warm up, or as a side dish. It's a versatile, easy recipe for your file.